Saturday, May 10, 2014

friendship and the meaning of "less than 3"

Suffice it to say that the older I get (I'm 56 at the time of this writing), the more I realize all I didn't learn in kindergarten, or grade school, or junior high, or high school, or even college.  Scholastically and athletically I had always held my own, but facts and figures are so quickly forgotten after the tests are taken.  I never made the important honor roll, the social honor roll.  I kept to myself a whole lot, because I just didn't know how to navigate the interpersonal waters around me, secretly envying others who managed to tread bravely through all three terrains. FAST-FORWARD 40 years...

In hindsight, I'd say our paths were meant to converge.  Our friendship began as a lot of other adult friendships do, involving work.  I hired him to do some videography and recording for me, as I was embarking on my musical career.  It proved to be a wonderful working collaboration.  He truly believed in the work we were doing, as much, if not more, than I did!  But even more importantly, he believed in me.  In truth, I gotta say, that I didn't truly believe in myself at that point...

I haven't mentioned our age difference.  The year I graduated from college, he was taking his first steps.  That said, a time came when our digits were entered into each others' phones and we started regarding each other as more than merely co-workers.  We became friends.  Whenever I've struggled with my role as parent to my adult children, he's given me perspective.  As he's pondered his life direction following college and beyond, I've been there, sharing my own vantage point.  So THAT'S what this friendship thing is all about...having someone to listen and share and understand and care.  No matter what.  Unconditionally.  

I didn't learn to truly trust and celebrate friendship until I was in my 50s.  Maybe that's why it is so precious to me, and why I was empowered to commemorate its importance in song.  I wrote this song (entitled "less than 3" or "<3") in 2013 and debuted it at Life's a Song Workshop in Port Aransas, TX.  I'd be honored for you to click on the following link and give the song a look and listen.  I hope it touches your heart and strikes a chord.  And, of course, videography is by my friend...


Until next blog, peace and love...Dorothy C. LeBlanc

No comments:

Post a Comment