Friday, January 30, 2015

WAKE UP AND DREAM...Part 1

Twelve years ago, I had never bellied up to a microphone with guitar in hand.  I was 45 years old when I first muddled my way through John Prine's Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian and The Beatles' Blackbird at an open mic hosted by Jason Hanks in Baton Rouge, LA. You could have cut the tension with a knife!!!  Everybody knew I was a first-timer and they really wanted me not to suck!  (Which, admittedly, I kinda did...)  When I struck the final chord, the applause was DEAFENING, and I could see everyone who had held their breath for me suddenly get color back in their cheeks.     

See, it was my dream to play music out in the world, after coming out of cancer treatment the previous month.  Twelve years later, I make my living as a musician.  I do music therapy with Alzheimer's patients and seniors with dementia; I perform as a children's musician; I am a songwriter; I am a jazz guitarist; I am drawn to any stringed instrument, and continue to try out new ones.  But it all started because a few people encouraged me to go for my dream*...

I have a new dream, y'all, as of mid 2014.  I want to travel throughout the United States and play songs I've written at open mics and gigs in every single state of the union.  I live in Louisiana, so I can check that one off.  I've played a bunch in Texas, and once in Indiana. About 10 years ago, I got to play in Potlach, Idaho with my first duo partner.  I'm heading east this next trip.  Savannah, Georgia, here I come!!!   Because of the kindness of 2 wonderful friends, I have a chance to play twice this coming week in their new community! And mid-February will find me in Nashville, TN!  I cannot believe it!  Y'all, I'm 57 and I'm living my dream.  Color me grateful and excited and at times a bit intimidated...but I've got a special mission in my life and it feels right! 

I wrote a song called Wake Up and Dream.  I am planning something really special with this tune, and I'll share more in the next WAKE UP AND DREAM installment.  I wonder if anybody out there is chasing a dream.  I would love to hear about it...

Until next blog post, peace and love to you...
dorothy

* No way I can thank everybody who encouraged me, but here are a few who have helped me in my travels: Catrina Rogers, Terri Hendrix, Lloyd Maines, my Life's a Song Friends, Beth Harvey, Mike and Debi Chambers, Karen Kelley,  Daniel Lee, Renea Hanna, Sally Morgan...and so many many more.  Another special thank you to my buddy and long-time duo partner, Mike Whitney, who did quite a few Louisiana 'road-trip' gigs with me!  Thank y'all...

No comments:

Post a Comment