Monday, January 5, 2015

EQUATING AN ONSLAUGHT OF BIRD POOP WITH A DIAGNOSIS OF BREAST CANCER???? Yep, that's how I roll...

it was January 6, 2003
 when the "C" word was first said to me
that hospital smell still etched upon my brain
I was there to take that grueling test
most women admittedly detest
that machine musta been invented by a man

okay this might feel a little tight
as they twist and twist with all their might
hold still, don't breathe...wait, do I look dumb?
'Don't breathe,' I think, 'Won't I die
without air in my lungs?'  my oh my
unbeknownest to me the best was yet to come

by the time my watch said 10:52
another machine, maybe one or two
the doctor started speaking doctor speak
'Somethin' ain't right right there on the left.'
now I'm trying to catch my breath
surgery's set for early next week.

excerpt from Bird Poop
written by Dorothy C. LeBlanc

I can't believe that it was 12 years ago this week when I began my crazy journey into breast cancer suspicion, biopsy, diagnosis, surgery, treatment and SURVIVAL!  Was it one of the most devastating experiences of my life, to be the 45 year old daughter of a woman who had lost her battle to breast cancer, suddenly facing the same disease?  I'm not so sure that devastating is adequate to describe how I was feeling.  But yes, it turned my world upside down and inside out!  

At the end of this post, there's a link to the song I wrote about my ordeal, affectionately titled "Bird Poop".  The song came to me while I was on a 9 mile bike ride, nearing the end of my radiation cycle, when a bird pooped on my arm...and I wiped my arm on my hide and kept moving.  "Gotta keep moving," I thought...That's what propelled the song!  I hope you enjoy it, and I hope you'll share the tune with others who might appreciate it.  

All I learned from this crazy cancer odyssey will be another blog post.  Too much to say in a mere few paragraphs, but suffice it to say that I would not be the woman I am today had I not faced each twist and turn on my road.  And I am grateful for every single day...


Thank you for reading and sharing...
Until next blog post, peace and love to you...dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment